Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 05:31:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        andre@pipeline.ch, manar@ivision.co.uk, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth limiter available

> > Manar Hussain wrote:
> >
> > Use ALTQ: http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/programs.html#ALTQ
> >
> > Does dynamic BW limiting better than a static ipfw rule.
>
> I can attest to this, having actually watched it in action.

and i fully agree on this. Just want to comment that dummynet and ALTQ
are two different things, that maybe could be integrated together
at some point.

I do think that ALTQ is a more complete package. On the other hand,
the advantages of dummynet are, in my opinion, the following:

 * ability to simulate delays and packet losses; this is very useful for
   experiments, less useful for real-life apps :)

 * device-indipendent, since it works at the IP level; ALTQ
   works at a lower level so it needs to be aware of the interface
   (and this could be a problem in some cases).

 * uses ipfw for packet filtering, which makes it easier to configure
   things (for those already familiar with ipfw). Also, it might save
   some work since classification is done once both for queueing and
   firewalling purposes.

The latter are probably design choices that ALTQ might benefit from
as well.

(if you want to compare sizes, the dummynet patches to the kernel
are about 1/10 of the size of ALTQ patches; but ALTQ includes also
an ATM device driver and other stuff, so the comparison is not very
meaningful).

> If you want to hear more about ALTQ, Cho Kenjiro will be talking about it
> at USENIX this year.  We hope also to hear from Ito Jun-ichiro about

and just for the records, I have a paper at the FreeNIX track on
dummynet and related networking stuff.

	cheers
	luigi