Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:27:03 +1300
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        jim@corp.au.triax.com
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web site stats package

> I'm in the process of putting together a new web server, and I want to
> be able to offer our hosting customers stats for their web sites.
> Bascially what I want to do is have each customer be able to browse to
> stats.domain.com to get their stats.  What I need to find is a stats
> package that will allow this to happen.  I recall seeing a post
> sometime back about this, but I couldn't find it when I searched the
> archives.
>
> I've read through the docs on the analog web site, but couldn't find
> anything about virtual host support.  Can it do it?  Should I be
> looking at webalizer or http-analyze instead?  Do any docs on setting
> something like this up exist?

Many lists of such software exist.  The usual search strategy applies to find them:  gather the names of 3 or 4 packages for the purpose and do a web search on their names, all in one search.  You'll tend to find lists of such packages.

I set up http-analyze-1.9e at one stage.  The stats it generates are substantially incorrect.  There was another package that was independently written but provides a very similar functionality, down to the look of the pages produced.  I don't remember the name of it at present.

Which package your users want will vary.  Our web site is a current affairs site.  The package we use - accesswatch gives info for one day only, meaning that our journalists can see the spikes in usage over the day, and see what level of interest individual stories are generating.  Most users though will want long term trends.

Do password protect your log analysis pages.  We weren't happy when our ISP started publishing these as part of a general service to their customers.  (Back in the days when we ran of one of their servers).  That includes a lot of information that is not public.  Probably some of your customers will have similar concerns.

Handling log analysis for virtual servers is simply a matter of keeping separate log files for each virtual server.  eg in apache:

<VirtualHost ip.ip.ip.ip>
ServerName www.example.com
DocumentRoot /home/example/htdocs
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/example/cgi-bin/

ServerAdmin webmaster@www.example.com
ErrorLog /home/example/logs/www_error_log
TransferLog /home/example/logs/www_access_log
</VirtualHost>

You then run a processing job for each log.  Don't do this as root.  I've found a number of freeware log analysis packages with buffer overflow exploits for large URL's and the like.

The main feature that  most log analysis software lacks is analysis of user sessions.  If anyone knows any packages that are good for this I'd be interested to hear about them.