Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:51:35 -0800
From:      "Jay Krell" <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   how to "upgrade" (make world) from stable to current?

3.4 cvsuped to the tip of stable is extremely unreliable for me. Building
ports while fetching other ports usually panics about a vm object being
deallocated too many times (ref count is zero at start of dealloc). Rather
than give on BSD, since I like that it is one distribution, easily kept up
to date, and the ports collection, I tried cvsuping to current (I thought
4.0, but actually 5.0). So, now, how do I "upgrade"? I basically have one
system, one drive. My second system runs NT and presently lacks ftp serving.

I ran into lots of problems.

3.4 config won't "build" current's GENERIC
3.4's make won't quite build current
3.4's install_info has problems with current

I worked around these by selectively copying files out of /usr/obj into
/usr, or by running config by a full path in /usr/obj. Eventually stuff
started failing, sh would core dump, but I did get world and kernel to build
to completion.

Ok, then, two problems I'm stumped on
getting make installworld to work, I forget exactly how it behaved, but it
didn't work
    I approximated it with
        cd /usr/obj/...
        for i in `ls | sed s/\\/// <somesuch>`
        do
            cp $i/$i <...
        done
        repeat for various ...

booting, setting up devices.

My one hard drive was known as wd0. Now it seems to be known as ad2 and wd2.
Does this change make sense? The existing fstab doesn't work, but nor could
I get the obvious edits plus MAKEDEV to work. What's the deal with MAKEDEV
creating devices with "s" in them? I eventually reinstalled bin from the 3.4
CD.

 - Jay