Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:40:09 GMT
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/91213

The following reply was made to PR ports/91213; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To: gnats <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:31:29 -0800

 --=-LioIpokvidL+j3N2nQVZ

 What I'm trying to fix is working with software outside of the ports
 tree.  The presence of things like gnomehack (bsd.gnome.mk) suggest that
 we do really expect the ports tree to make software respect our hier(7),
 not upstream maintainers.  So, to assist people like me who work on
 non-FreeBSD software on FreeBSD, it would be nice if we could let our
 tools also know about where non-ports software (like a CVS checkout of
 something) likes to install itself.  I don't see how this would at all
 damage the ports system (assuming of course that you fix the bug in my
 patch where the 2nd path needs :=3D instead of =3D), but it would be one
 less thing to hand-configure on every FreeBSD system I touch just so I
 can build software.

 It wouldn't need to be documented in hier(7).  It wouldn't affect
 requirements for software in the ports tree.

 --=20
 Eric Anholt                                     eta@lclark.edu
 http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt@FreeBSD.org

 --=-LioIpokvidL+j3N2nQVZ