Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:29:56 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        reichert@internet.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Brian Reichert writes:
> Long ago, I took to using procmail to break out my mail upon delivery to
> various folders.  I noted that several times _daily_ that procmail was
> dropping core.
>
> Well, I hacked procmail to requeue the mail upon a segfault, and after a few
> days, guess what I found?
>
> Seventy-nine mail messages from hackers, bugs, and stable !
>
> I haven't gone pawing through debuggers to see what the issue is, but will
> have to if I want my mail to be delivered.
>
> Have anyone else seen wierd behaviour from this?   I note that even with with
> all of the debugging stuff turned on, the resulting core file died way out
> in a library somewhere...

Hmm, never.  Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had *any* problems
with procmail that weren't operator error (like moving the binary and
not updating my .forward, creating bogus .procmailrc files).

> For what it's worth, I'm running 2.1R and procmail v3.10.

I was running 3.10 for quite a while, but upgraded to a newer version
earlier this year.

procmail v3.11pre3

However, I know that many other people who use procmail also have had
problems.  I guess I'm just lucky!

Nate