Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:01:19 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell D600 odds-n-ends

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 10:23:10AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:

> >or a hibernation file on the first fat16 or fat 32 slice. if you want to
> >keep windows for the occasional firmware upgrade, you may want to convert
> >the windwos filesystem from ntfs to fat32 and then put a hibernation file
> >on there.
>
> Does FreeBSD know to look there for the hibernation file, or is that a
> BIOS thing?  Also - do I use a Dell tool to create the hibernation file?

it's a bios thing. i never done this with dells, but i guess if you don't
find a dell-specific tool, you can use the ibm-one [1]. however, some
googling [2] pointed me to pHdisk.exe from dell, maybe that's what you need.

> I don't have Windows on my laptop - just FreeBSD, so if there is a way
> to do this without loading windows on it, I'd be much happier. Although
> I don't mind having a fat16 or fat32 partition around for this purpose..

no windows is no problem. the ibm tool comes as a dos boot disk.

[1]
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=psg1MIGR-4PESMK&loc=en_US
[2]
http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/joerg.hau/linux/b142.htm