Date:      Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:15:44 -0500
From:      Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston@ssa.crane.navy.mil>
To:        Taoufik BEN EZZAHHAF <b_taoufik@yahoo.com>
Cc:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem installing aic7xxx

Taoufik BEN EZZAHHAF wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> why trying to install aic7xxx for my scsi bus adaptor
> (Adaptec 29160N) on my RED HAT ES 3, the following
> message appears:
>
> $ root > rpm -i aic7xxx-6.3.6-rhel3.i686.rpm
<SNIP>
> Backing up all modified files to
> /boot/aic7xxx-backup-0
<SNIP>
> ****** PROBLEM *******
> No prebuilt module for 2.4.21-32.ELsmp i686
> **********************
<SNIP>
> ****** PROBLEM *******
> No prebuilt module for 2.4.21-32.EL i686
> **********************
> ******** NO MODULES INSTALLED *********
<SNIP>
> In addition, mys system does not seem to see the
> adaptec card, and when i trie to install module
> aic7xxx:
>
> $ root > insmod aic7xxx
> insmod: aic7xxx: no module by that name found
<SNIP>
> Help please, i have a deliver next week...

1) was the driver from Red Hat failing in some way?
	if so you might want to back out this change, i.e., copy the data from
/boot/aic7xxx-backup-0  back to where it came from, and call Red Hat and ask
for help(I am working under the assumption that when you got RED HAT ES 3
you got, and still have, a small service contract with RH).

3) have you checked to see what version RH provides? they may have updated
since May 2004. (Mr. Gibbs, are you still around or has the product just
stabilized? Any word on when the changes will make it into a mainline
kernel?)

2) When I got the above errors under Fedora Core 1 (a long time ago), I
found that if I got the source from his site[1], and put it in linux-2.4
(replacing the RH version) and compiled it (with the correct compiler) it
would work.
 for me the procedure was something along the lines of
cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
tar -xzvf aic79xx-linux-2.4-20040209-tar.gz
export CC=gcc32
cp /boot/config-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl .config
make oldconfig
make dep
make rpm

install the rpms and do a
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --depmod --install kernelrev

(when I install the kernel RPM on a FC3 box it ends up in
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.11/linux-2.6.11/ and is still using:
aic7xxx_osm.h:#define AIC7XXX_DRIVER_VERSION "6.2.36")

Good luck.

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/
--
Todd Denniston