Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:44:48 +0200
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        "Jonathan Fosburgh" <fosburgh@flash.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re[4]: I need Your advice

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000, Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
> <snip>
> > Does anyone know a cluster manages this?  I have not had a good reason to
> > run a cluster yet and have not done it yet, but wonder if a cluster could
> > allow a node to reboot without disrupting the cluster.  And what if the
> > master node needed to reboot and get upgraded?  What is the prefered
> > method here?
> <snip>
> If my understanding is correct (I have done little work with this and have
> attended no classes) HA for AIX does this. You bring down one system and it
> failsover to the other. You then apply all upgrades to the OS and HA
> software and when you are ready to apply it, you bring that system back up
> and failover to it. redbooks.ibm.com has a lot of their documentation for
> HA, you might look there for more info.

thing that interests me is what happens if you have to upgrade the cluster
software? Oh and FWIW the procedures describe apply to NT Microsoft
clusters and to Novell clusters

we have an AIX cluster in the office so if anyone is really interested  I can
dig out the dirt on  how it hangs together.

Mark Rowlands  +4686224510  GMT + 1