Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:00:04 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System hangs...SCSI/CAM related?

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, David Malone wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 09:32:52AM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > 	Now I'm getting these hangs almost like clockwork...every 24hrs or
> > so.  My impression has always been that a hang where you can still ping
> > the machine is a SCSI problem, so that is why I'm CC'ng the SCSI mailing
> > list...
>
> Hangs where you can still ping are more likely just to be some
> sort of kernel loop where network interupts are still enabeled.
> Try compiling the debugger into the kernel and when it hangs break
> to the debugger (ctl-printscrn) and get a trace ("trace"). You could
> then try continuing from the debugger ("continue") and breaking again
> a few moments later, to see how much the trace has changed. Repeat
> this a few times and see if you can figure out where it is stuck.

I would love to comply this with one, except the last time I asked about
this, it basically worked out that there was no way of doing the break to
debugger from a serial console :(

Anyone know if that has changed?

> I had a few lockups after upgrading INN a few times. It seemed to go
> away if I rebuild my history database (which I'd forgotten to do).

I'm sorry, but this, IMHO, is just wrong...not that you had the problem,
just that the problem ever existed...it might just be me, but a userland
program locking up the system sounds like a MicroSloth-ism, not something
I'd expect from Unix :(  If I were running it as root vs
news...maybe...but even then, it should cause an error or terminate more
gracefully then "screw this, let's crash"...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org