Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 15:11:12 -0400
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@netunlimited.net>
To:        THIERRY.HERBELOT@telspace.alcatel.fr
Cc:        questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: newbie PPP question

Le bonheur n'est pas encore ici. I assumed you meant:

208.128.132.1
208.128.132.2

but I tried both ways. Neither worked. I have also attempted to set up the
"cacheing-only name server" Do you know anything about this? For that, the
resolv.conf in the manual is a bit different:

nameserver    127.0.0.1
nameserver    208.128.132.1
nameserver    208.128.132.2

I misinterpreted what 'nameserver' meant the first time through. Is this
cacheing-only NS what you're using? I tried every combination of your suggestions
and the manual's suggestions I could think of and the above was the only one that
allowed it to work. It gave a msg 'Ready to take requests' so I assume that was the
right way. When I set this up and invoked it, it made ppp all screwy. No echo, no
response. But we may be on two different tracks here.

But the nameserver thing *is* the problem. I *can* lynx to an IP number.  I hadn't
thought of that before. Can't ping a name. Any other thoughts? Anyone else out there
following this? I also see references to /etc/namedb/localhost.rev and
/etc/namedb/named.boot. Or am I on the wrong track again? Thanks to all again for
your patience.