Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:22:02 +0930
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_Micheel?= <joerg@lemis.com>
To:        Jonas Eriksson <jonas.eriksson@interact.se>, freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM, Singelmode fiber card

Hi Jonas,

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 04:42:15PM +0200, Jonas Eriksson wrote:
> I have been searching the mailinglist archive for this
> article but cannot find any reference:
>
> I am looking for an ATM Card that supports singlemode
> fiber that runs with FreeBSD ATM Drivers.

I'm not so sure there are any singlemode cards for workstations.
Some vendors might, but only as a rare option. The only commercial
support for FreeBSD ATM (to my knowledge) is Adaptec, you might
want to browse their Web page.

What you usually would do in you case is to buy a multimode card
and obtain a fiber converter as an external box. Those used to
be very expensive (in the order of 7,000 to 12,000 Deutschmark)
but they have gotten much cheaper recently. The advantage of
the external box is that you can choose from a range of different
laser strength' and either fit it directly to you cable length or
buy the most strongest available (although expensive!) for the
worst case and adopt it to your current configuration with an
attenuator. There are several manufactureres of these converters,
have a look at Communication by Light at http://www.cbl.de.

Best regards,
	Joerg