Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 13:29:03 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a last word on last

>As Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
>> BTW, is color_xterm gone from port/x11 now and is xterm
>> the full replacement for this (as Satoshi (?) mentioned earlier)?
>
>The X11R6.1 (and higher) xterm supports ANSI color codes, i think this
>was the reason why the color_xterm port went away.  (I never used
>color_xterm, but my xterm supports colors. ;)

More correctly, the XFree86 3.2 and higher xterm supports ANSI colour
codes.  The X Consortium didn't pick up these changes, so they are not
in their standard releases.

Those who have problems getting things in colour when TERM is set
to xterm-color, check that you have the XTerm-color app-defaults
file installed, *and* that you have something like the following in
your .Xdefaults file:

#ifdef COLOR
*customization: -color
#endif

so that it gets used.  I think this is the most common reason for people
having problems getting it to work.

David