Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2012 07:02:17 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zpool detach pool device

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 02:36:56PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> If you're worried about leaking confidential information on old disk
> drives, then a few passes with dban should render the data unrecoverable
> except by heroic measures.

Comments in passing:

1) A single pass of writing zeros to every LBA (which DBAN can do) is
sufficient.  The "multi-pass" nonsense was debunked a while back, where
no data recovery company took on the challenge of recovering data from a
drive that had all zeros written to every LBA.  You can read the story
here, and some data recovery companies' reactions:

http://hostjury.com/blog/view/195/the-great-zero-challenge-remains-unaccepted
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/08/09/06/189248/the-great-zero-challenge-remains-unaccepted
http://16s.us/zero/index.php

2) Folks considering debunking the above by mentioning Steve Gibson's
SpinRite software should try their best to figure out what that
buzzword-focused software actually does (including reading the technical
paper on it; "DynaStat", whatever dude) -- but the reason it sometimes
works for people is because it works on two levels -- both sector level
*and* filesystem level.  It does understand FAT/FAT32/NTFS and some
other common ones, but not *IX filesystems (to my knowledge).

3) Folks considering using DBAN should either use DBAN 1.0.x or DBAN
2.2.6 "fixed", since the 2.x.x series has a well-established
compatibility issue with many motherboards (the author chose to use a
buggy version of SYSLINUX/MEMLINUX/ISOLINUX which causes this problem).
The end result is a bootable CD that complains about "no configuration
file".  I've seen this happen on both consumer (Gigabyte) and
server-grade hardware (Supermicro).  Details:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3151269&group_id=61951&atid=498945

You can download the 2.2.6 "fixed" ISO here (which is the same software
just built with a newer/bugfixed version of SYSLINUX/etc.):

http://ubcdcreator.stopspazzing.com/dban/dban-2.2.6_i586-fixed.iso

You can also Google for "dban-2.2.6_i586-fixed.iso" and find lots of
people complaining about the same problem.  It's fairly widespread.

All DBAN does is write {whatever-source-you-choose} to the drive
basically with dd (it's actually a separate wrapper program but it
behaves identically to dd).

4) If you ever plan on re-using this drive in a system, please do not
use the PRNG method or similar methods ("write random jibberish all over
the drive").  This is almost guaranteed to confuse a system (ANY system)
the next time you insert the disk; data is written to the MBR and
partition table regions which is gobbledegook, resulting in the
underlying BIOS, OS, or anything else trying to parse that data, and
thus begins behaving weirdly/oddly ("what do you mean I can't partition
this disk?"  "Yeah, there's an HP/UX partition on this thing,
right...").  I speak from personal experience on this matter.  As such,
I always advocate people zero their drives and not to pick the defaults.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                 jdc@parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking                     http://www.parodius.com/ |