Date:      Sat, 10 Sep 2016 10:58:22 +0200
From:      Christoph Pilka <c.pilka@asconix.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Server with 40 physical cores, 48 NVMe disks, feel free to test it

Hi,

we've just been granted a short-term loan of a server from Supermicro =
with 40 physical cores (plus HTT) and 48 NVMe drives. After a bit of =
mucking about, we managed to get 11-RC running. A couple of things are =
preventing the system from being terribly useful:

- We have to use hw.nvme.force_intx=3D1 for the server to boot
If we don't, it panics around the 9th NVMe drive with "panic: couldn't =
find an APIC vector for IRQ...". Increasing hw.nvme.min_cpus_per_ioq =
brings it further, but it still panics later in the NVMe =
enumeration/init. hw.nvme.per_cpu_io_queues=3D0 causes it to panic later =
(I suspect during ixl init - the box has 4x10gb ethernet ports).

- zfskern seems to be the limiting factor when doing ~40 parallel "dd =
if=3D/dev/zer of=3D<file> bs=3D1m" on a zpool stripe of all 48 drives. =
Each drive shows ~30% utilization (gstat), I can do ~14GB/sec write and =
16 read.

- direct writing to the NVMe devices (dd from /dev/zero) gives about =
550MB/sec and ~91% utilization per device=20

Obviously, the first item is the most troublesome. The rest is based on =
entirely synthetic testing and may have little or no actual impact on =
the server's usability or fitness for our purposes.=20

There is nothing but sshd running on the server, and if anyone wants to =
play around you'll have IPMI access (remote kvm, virtual media, power) =
and root.

Any takers?

//Chris=