Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:10:59 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   -Wall (was: btokup() macro in sys/malloc.h)

[moved to -chat]

On Wednesday, 27 January 1999 at 22:40:16 -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
>> Anyway, if we're going to -Wall'ify the kernel (as we should)
>> then we need to update sytle(9) to reflect that.
>>
>> In fact, style(9) should say:
>>
>>   If at all possible, your code should compile without warnings
>>   when the gcc -Wall flag is given.
>
> I disagree.  As has been shown many times in the past (and I suspect the
> down-under constituent will show that at least a couple of the
> 'warnings' fixes will be wrong and hide bogus code), making -Wall a goal
> causes people to cover up bad code with bad casts and such.
>
> '-Wall' is *NOT* a good design goal.

It works both ways.  On the one hand, I hate having to put dummy
initialization in for variables that never get used uninitialized, but
in ways that the optimizer can't recognize.  On the other hand, just
today (or yesterday, depending on how you look at it), Matt Dillon
changed some stuff in vinum to remove some warnings, and at the same
time coincidentally fixed a latent bug.

Greg