Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:40:04 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>, Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS_LOCAL_BRANCH_NUM?

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 10:59:55AM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 11:56:26AM -0800, Lamont Granquist wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> > > Please note quotes explicitly, "$@" is really needed where your param=
eters
> > > contain spaces (bad practice in filenames, yeah, but don't make yours=
elf
> > > another one PITA you can avoid ;-P )
> >=20
> > got it.
>=20
> Mmm.. I am not really sure if we need quotes in this particular case.
> In my experience, the CVS invocation in the server or pserver case
> almost always has more than one argument (at the very least, the
> 'server' or 'pserver' keyword and one 'allow-root' option).  The quotes
> around "$@" would make the whole param string be passed as a single
> parameter to the "real" CVS binary, which might not be quite the desired
> result...

No, that's not the behaviour with /bin/sh, from the man page:

     @       Expands to the positional parameters, starting from one.  When
             the expansion occurs within double-quotes, each positional par=
am-
             eter expands as a separate argument.  If there are no position=
al
             parameters, the expansion of @ generates zero arguments, even
             when @ is double-quoted.  What this basically means, for examp=
le,
             is if $1 is ``abc'' and $2 is ``def ghi'', then "$@" expands to
             the two arguments:

                   "abc"   "def ghi"

I think "$@" (with the quotes) is ok.

--Stijn

--=20
Help Wanted: Telepath. You know where to apply.

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc--