Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 03:15:38 -0400
From:      tcobb <tcobb@staff.circle.net>
To:        "'shimon@simon-shapiro.org'" <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>, "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Subject:   RE: DPT driver fails and panics with Degraded Array

[SNIP]
> At this point, the load on
> the system will
>     reach 140-400 (we run the tests against RAID-0 and RAID-1, the
>     performance differs)

>From my quick review of the replies of FreeBSD DPT RAID users, all of
them appear to be using their arrays in RAID-0 or RAID-1 configurations.

According to Simon's test procedure for his releases (portion copied
above), he too only uses the DPT RAID-0 and RAID-1 features.

In my setup, I'm using both RAID-5 and RAID-1.  I have yet to have a
drive failure on the RAID-1 array (*knock on wood*), the problems I saw
were with the RAID-5 array and rebuilds.

*PERHAPS* the key point is that the driver developer hasn't tested the
FreeBSD DPT driver with a RAID-5 array.  Perhaps not.

What is clear from my prior post (the really long one) is that in my
configuration the DPT driver or some other FreeBSD software component
does not correctly deal with the DPT hardware doing a background
rebuild.

I'm going to try to obtain another DPT card and setup another small
array for further testing.

-Troy Cobb
 Circle Net, Inc.
 http://www.circle.net