Date:      11 May 2000 11:14:20 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: specify pid for a process?

disconnected <disowned@flitr.nu> wrote:

> This might be a stupid question, but is there a way to run a process under
> a specified (unused) pid?

No.

> It's not really for any good reason, but I'm rather curious, since I know
> certain basic services always claim the same pid when you reboot, and I
> don't think that's just because they fall into place that way.

They do.

Without dependencies on external I/O, the startup procedure should
be deterministic. FreeBSD assigns PIDs sequentially, and if those
services are started in the same order, the daemons will always
get the same PIDs. (Some operating systems, e.g. OpenBSD, will
assign PIDs in random distribution.)

Amazing, how the belief in magic and the loss of the assumption of
determinism has infiltrated popular computing.