Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 1995 17:14:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD dx4-100 - Any good?

On Tue, 5 Sep 1995, Mats Lofkvist wrote:

>    I just bought an AMD DX4-100 two days ago to replace my old Cyrix DX2/66.
>    Because the Cyrix only had a 1K cache, it was NOT as fast as the Intel,
>    but the AMD has an 8k cache and so performs just as well, and costs a lot
>    cheaper than an Intel 486DX4/100 ($109 vs. $190 at PC Club in Industry,
>    CA).  It is also 100% compatible with anything you can throw at it,
>    including FreeBSD.  Even the Intel diagnostic program that came with an
>    old 486 Overdrive chip passed the AMD with flying colors!
>
> Isn't the cache in the Intel DX4 16K ?
> If so, "just as well" might not be entirely true.

Okay, I forgot to mention that point.  :)  But for all practical purposes,
the difference between 8k and 16k cache is a lot smaller than the difference
between the 1k cache on the Cyrix and an 8k cache, especially if you also
have a 256k external cache, as most decent 486 motherboards do.

---Jake
jehamby@lightside.com