Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 21:47:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        damien@tougas.net (Damien Tougas)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD salary formula and a low key sales pitch...

> Hello,
>
> I am currently working in Canada, and have just come across a
> potential oppurtunity to work in the US, and now I have a whole bunch
> of questions.
>
> First of all, this company is asking me how much I would like to get
> paid. Perhaps someone could give some ideas as to what the average salary
> would be for a job encompassing the following type of work:
>
> - Internet server administration (FreeBSD)
> - Web/CGI/SQL development
> - FreeBSD server setup/admin for misc. networking purposes such as
>   VPNs, firewalls, etc.
>
> This is my background:
>
> - University degree in Civil Engineering
> - 3 Years work experience in Civil Engineering
> - 2 Years full time experience in hardware/networking/administration
>   with Windows NT and FreeBSD
> - Experience with developing in PHP, Perl, MySQL, and PostgreSQL
>
> So, knowing that, could anyone be able tell me what type of wage is
> reasonable?

The median cost of a two bedroom apartment in this area is US$1600.

Take whatever the median cost of a two bedrommom apartment is
in your area, and use that value to do the math.  This will get
you the equivalent in "Northern Silicon Valley US$".

Do the experiment based on where you intend to move, and what
salary, after taxes, you would expect in your area (again, in US$),
given your experience.

Since you are Canadian, subtract whatever would be your health
care contribution at the place you are going.

This is the base after-tax salary you are looking for.

After that, things get complicated, based on where you expect
to have to pay taxes.  You need to calculate backwards from
the tax rate in order to get your expected pre-tax salary.

If you are good at doing UI stuff in PHP, or any other template
based HTML UI scripting language, we'll hire you.  8-).

Sales pitch:

If you have been thinking about moving to the bay area...

IBM has excellent benefits, educational reimbursement for post
graduate level study, sabbaticals, 401K matching, and a sick
leave policy that would permit a person with a doctors note to
miss up to 12 months in any 24 month period, if necessary.

We (Whistle Communications, Inc.) are a predominantly FreeBSD
shop within IBM.  We not only need good people and are willing
to pay for them (stock options are a 1:20 lottery, whereas a
higher base salary can be invested however you like, at whatever
level of risk you like, instead of betting the farm that your
startup will IPO before it burns all its cash), we also need
people to help spread the BSD gospel to the rest of IBM.  8-).

Our site hosts the non-Berkeley BAFUG meetings, and we are
active advocates.  Nothing says "FreeBSD is legitimate business"
than a bunch of people showing up in FreeBSD T-shirts wearing
IBM badges.  8-).

You get the best of both worlds: big company benefits in a small
company atmosphere (for the purposes of beer on pizza day and at
company functions, for example, IBM has declared Whistle an "event",
so we still have the champagne at product release time, etc.).

We also have the standard Silicon Valley "free beverages" thing
going on (canned Coke, Sprite, Pepsi, Juices, Snapple, etc.),
so it's not like we are counting foam cups, like some companies
do...

We also have various lunch crowds, a small daily "walk near the bay"
group, depending on your tastes, so there's plenty of opportunity
to hang out with smart, like-minded people.  There's enough places
close by that you can walk to lunch (if you go to the Indian/Mexican
Deli, you could hit on some of the Microsoft marketing people, if
you wanted... the office where we marched for "Windows Refund Day"
is upstairs from it).

Oh yeah, plus there's the keys to the IBM technology candy store,
to use in the products you work on -- though we personally try
to steer towards open source equivalents, given a choice, so that
we can give back to the community (for example, we have some
pretty damn good sendmail patches that we've made available, and
we are about set to release the first public ODMR reference
implementation).

If you apply, please reference "SN: 5A0378" in the application
as the referral (probably under "other").

If you promise you know what you are doing when it comes to code,
then you can send your resume to me directly at Whistle, so you
don't have to wait for the "HR filter" that all companies have.  It's
the same as the email address in my signature, only "whistle.com"
(we even got to keep our own email) instead of "lambert.org".

In all honesty, if you have FreeBSD experience, and you are in
the Bay area, you have at least 5 jobs waiting for you.  FreeBSD
is _that_ hot right now.  Hopefully, you'll give Whistle a crack
at you before looking elsewhere...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---