Date:      Sun, 12 Jun 2011 04:40:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, John or Judy Hixson <johnorjudy@earthlink.net>
Subject:   Re: Need Help Installing and Configuring Xorg

=0A________________________________=0AFrom: Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net>=
=0ATo: John or Judy Hixson <johnorjudy@earthlink.net>; =0Afreebsd-questions=
@freebsd.org=0ASent: Fri, June 10, 2011 8:24:23 PM=0ASubject: Re: Need Help=
 Installing and Configuring Xorg=0A=0A--As of June 10, 2011 4:26:27 PM -070=
0, John or Judy Hixson is alleged to have =0Asaid:=0A=0A> I'm having troubl=
e getting Xorg to run on my just recently installed=0A> FreeBSD 7.4-RELEASE=
(i386) system. I'm trying to follow the procedures in=0A> Sections 5.3 and =
5.4 of the Handbook and can't seem to get "startx" to=0A> fire up; I get a =
black screen when I try. Here's what I've done so far:=0A=0A--As for the re=
st, it is mine.=0A=0AWeird question: Have you installed xterm yet?=A0 Witho=
ut a window manager =0Aconfigured, startx will try to open X with a single =
xterm window.=A0 (At least, as =0Ainstalled from ports, I believe.)=A0 I'm =
not sure what it would do if it couldn't =0Afind xterm, but a blank black s=
creen sounds possible...=0A=0AIf I'm right, Xorg is _running,_ you just hav=
en't started any programs in it.=A0 =0AWhich you might be able to see if yo=
u ssh'd into the box.=A0 If so, you could kill =0AXorg and get your termina=
l back on your standard terminal.=0A=0ADaniel T. Staal=0A=0A---------------=
veral different machines. =0AWhen it installs it comes with twm (Trivial Wi=
ndow Manager) which is the =0Adefault, no frills window manager. It should =
have installed with the Xorg port. =0AIf you installed via pkg_add I can't =
say for sure that tvw installs by default, =0Abut using the ports it will. =
Without a window manager, you will see nothing but =0Aa black graphics scre=
en when you run "startx".=0A=0AThere are loads of other windows managers an=
d choices for desktop. I am a big =0Abeliever in the KISS method and prefer=
 not to add in all the overhead that comes =0Awith KDE or GNOME and I just =
use tvm. I can open any application and it looks =0Afine, I can open severa=
l Xterm windows with it and spread them across my dual =0Amonitor setup. It=
 just works for me but I'm sure others will toot their horns =0Afor KDE and=
 GNOME, etc...