Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 1999 17:16:05 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where to put adzapper

On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 14:59:02 GMT, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> The question is, where does it make the most sense to initialize it?
> Rc.local or ppp.linkup?

When you find yourself faced with a decision, ask yourself a question...
if I ran a multi-user system hosting users with lots of different
preferences, what would I do?  This assumes that you're striving to
learn, as opposed to striving for rapid results.

So the first question you need to ask yourself is:

	Is it possible to offer adzapper on a per-user basis?

If not, but you're the only user on the box, then fine, you'll have to
drop purism.  Or maybe you'd enforce this on all your users, in which
case you're still being a purist, just a bastard purist. :-)

So the next question is:

	What'll happen if adzapper's already running from a previous
	PPP connection and ppp.linkup launches another instance?

Knowing nothing at all about adzapper, I can't answer that for you.  But
I'm guessing that it's more appropriate to run it out of
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/adzapper.sh, provided it'll get up and running
without a live connection.

Now go play around a bit, eh? :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.