Date:      01 Oct 1998 22:55:24 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mouse behavior

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> On Thursday,  1 October 1998 at 21:08:00 -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> >> Not in UNIX.  Paste with middle button.
> >
> > Of course, I tried every combination known to man including middle
> > mouse. No go.  But in console mode isn't it just right mouse to paste?
> > I know its middle mouse in X but haven't installed X stuff yet.
> >
> > On linux box its just right mouse in console mode to paste.
> > But like I said, middle mouse doesn't do it either.
>
> According to moused(8):
>
>      Cut and paste functions in the virtual console assume that there are
>      three buttons on the mouse.  The logical button 1 (logical left) selects
>      a region of text in the console and copies it to the cut buffer.  The
>      logical button 3 (logical right) extends the selected region.  The logi-
>      cal button 2 (logical middle) pastes the selected text at the text cursor
>      position.  If the mouse has only two buttons, the middle, `paste' button
>      is not available.
>
> Also, how are you trying to paste?  Into what?

Big mistake thinking it would be the same, should have read man page.
I was trying to paste something form the screen to the command line.
But I see the rub in the manpage you posted.  I have a two button
mouse.  Apparently not supported in FreeBSD scheme.  Linux uses left
and right together to simulate `middle'.

Thanks for your patience

--
Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com
Running Redhat Linux-5.1