Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 12:30:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

> > I suggest that sysinstall and the release tools do not belong
> > under src/ in the repository. They belong in a separate place,
> Good idea !

Actually not.  It's my intention that the release tools become less
intrinsically "release tools" and more "system management tools", no
different than utilities like ncrcontrol or tzsetup.  This would
hinder my ability to update setup in such a way that the next world
build for somebody would update it.  Having stale copies of sysinstall
around in /stand has caused no end of trouble for people, and whereas
I can at least now tell them to "cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall &&
make all install" to update these bits, I would have to add an extra
step telling them how to cvsup this special release collection and how
to build it.  I'm already starting to get complaints about our
splitting doc into its own subtree, and that's *docs*, not software
which can potentially cause serious problems for you (I anticipate a
few bugs in setup along the way ;-) if you have out-of-date versions.

					Jordan