Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 14:37:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, osa@etrust.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What about jdk-1.1.6 for FreeBSD-3.0-ELF ?

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > Until an ELF Motif library shows up, there won't be an ELF JDK.  Note,
> > > it's really not that big of a deal unless you're doing JNI since it will
> > > work fine as a.out.
> >
> > I'm afraid we will still face a problem here. The jdk links
> > dynamically to libc, but as I understand Satoshi there will be no
> > about libs shipped with 3.0.
>
> Sure there will.  It just won't be in the 'default' distribution, but it
> will require folks to install the 'compatability' libraries.
>
> > Anyway, the C compiler in FreeBSD-3.0 will still be able to produce
> > about object files. So JNI will be useable with an aout JDK.
>
> Right, but this is less than optimal.

I'm taking from this that not having a Motif lib in elf is dragging
things back.  I'm totally non-suprised (I've been nagging XiG to get by
personal favorite one done for a while now).  I would hope that, when
someone _does_ find a vendor of Motif in ELF, there will be a quick
announcement on the lists ... don't consider it advertising, we _need_
this.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).