Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2012 17:03:14 +0400
From:      Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>
To:        Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@gwdg.de>
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lucas_Sali=E9s_Brum?= <sistematico@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lib name on LIB_DEPENDS

Rainer Hurling wrote on 29.10.2012 14:34:
> Am 29.10.2012 08:53 (UTC+1) schrieb Ruslan Mahmatkhanov:
>> Rainer Hurling wrote on 28.10.2012 19:46:

>>> textproc/py-feedparser does not install any library, so you need to test
>>> the presence of the python script, installed by this port:
>>>
>>> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/feedparser.py
>>>
>>> To be path and version independent you should use something like
>>>
>>> ${PYTHON_SITELIBDIR}/feedparser.py:${PORTSDIR}/textproc/py-feedparser
>>
>> Please note that using
>> ${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX}feedparser>0:${PORTSDIR}/textproc/py-feedparser
>>
>> is preferable.
>>

> Thanks for this info. I wasn't sure about what is best to use in
> 'DEPENDS' lines.
>
> Do I understand it right, that '${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX}feedparser>0'
> tests directly, if the port py27-feedparser is installed and
> '${PYTHONPREFIX_SITELIBDIR}/feedparser.py would test, if the file
> 'feedparser.py' exists in the path '${PYTHONPREFIX_SITELIBDIR}'? (better
> than '${PYTHON_SITELIBDIR}'?

Yes, you understanding it right. ${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX} will accept any
value according to what PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION is set in user's
environment (py27-, py26-, py32- etc). The main difference over using
PYTHON_SITELIBDIR is that it will work correctly if/when dependent port
will be switched to egg-install. In fact it works fine for both
egg-installed ports, and with distutils-installed ones. And hardcoding
dependency on some file is ugly, imho. Your package needs another
package, so why should it bother to which file in filesystem it depends?
Dropping SITELIBDIR usage is a common trend in ports tree - perl and
ruby ports do the same.

> In PH, chapter 6.14, three cases are mentioned:
>
> (1) PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX
> Used as a PKGNAMEPREFIX to distinguish packages for different Python
> versions. Example: py24-
>
> (2) PYTHON_SITELIBDIR
> Location of the site-packages tree, that contains installation path of
> Python (usually LOCALBASE). The PYTHON_SITELIBDIR variable can be very
> useful when installing Python modules.
>
> (3) PYTHONPREFIX_SITELIBDIR
> The PREFIX-clean variant of PYTHON_SITELIBDIR. Always use
> %%PYTHON_SITELIBDIR%% in pkg-plist when possible. The default value of
> %%PYTHON_SITELIBDIR%% is lib/python%%PYTHON_VERSION%%/site-packages

I'm not sure what the difference among (2) and (3). They looking the
same for me. Never used (3) and see no problem. Can't tell you more at
the moment, it needs to digging into bsd.python.mk.

--
Regards,
Ruslan

Tinderboxing kills... the drives.