Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 22:51:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Harry Aulakh <harry@tesys.com>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, walcaraz@indy3.gstone.com, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID on FreeBSD

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Harry Aulakh wrote:

> >  RAID5 arrays of 5 drives is kinda of nice sweet spot.  If you go much
> >bigger, just use RAID0 over multiple RAID5.
>
> Please note that dual RAID support (dpt based) is not available under
> FreeBSD(there are few other OS's which do support it), as per my
> information.. Can someone verify that..

  "dual RAID" is probably a misleading term.  You can have multiple arrays
with the FreeBSD dpt.  I you want to stack arrays (ex. stripe multiple
RAID5 arrays together), you can easily just use ccd, after all the hard
part, RAID5 reliability, is being done by the controller.

  I believe the dpt support for stacked arrays, and arrays across is all
handled in software within the driver anyhow.

Tom