Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:02:43 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, imp@village.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 12:47:30 MST, Doug wrote:

>       Finally, Brian might want to search the bugtraq archives before
> he commits anything. There have been quite a few identd related
> discussions, and it would be points in our favor if we didn't come out
> with anything that had known exploits.

I like this suggestion. I worry about a trend I'm seeing, with more and
more people keen to replace existing code with their own virgin code
which hasn't had any serious field time behind it.

This seems like a very Linuxy development trend. It's the way the Bazaar
works, but not in a Cathedral. Rather, you have a look at what's already
there and try to work on it. You don't start your own wing a few feet
from the Cathedral in the hopes that someone will bash down a similar
wing elsewhere and join yours to the main building.

Waffle waffle.

Ciao,
Sheldon.