Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:50:42 +0100
From:      "R. Zoontjens" <richard@radecom.nl>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: restore question

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Mark wrote:
>
> > Worse even, how do I safely restore the "/" filesystem? (should it ever
> > become corrupted).
>
> The last time I needed to do that, I booted to the Fixit system
> on CD2 and used the tools there to newfs/restore from backup.

But what to do if you did your dumps to tape and the fixit disk does not
have the right tapedriver?
one would like to be able to restore the tape-dumps...

You build a custom boot disk with a custom kernel (Handbook). That's what I
tried. But: the MINI kernel doesn't fit on the disk, and I stripped it
a -lot- :(   (my 4.7 MINI kernel is still about 1.2M with ATA-tape drivers)

So Now I'm looking at making a custom Live-cd
(http://livecd.sourceforge.net/)
Probably I'll have a look at PicoBSD as well

Maybe someone has a better suggestion?

---

R.J. Zoontjens

    ____            __
   / __ \____ _____/ /_/  _________  ____ ___

Dit bericht kan vertrouwelijke informatie bevatten. Indien u niet de
geadresseerde van dit bericht bent, verzoeken wij u dit bericht te
vernietigen zonder van de inhoud kennis te nemen en de inhoud ervan niet te
gebruiken, niet te kopieren en niet onder derden te verspreiden.

This message may contain information which is privileged or confidential. If
you are not the named addressee of this message please destroy it without
reading, using, copying or disclosing its contents to any other person.