Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 00:33:22 -0800
From:      "Jay Krell" <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   still partition/slice restrictions?

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/install.html#AEN585

Q: Any restrictions on how I divide the disk up?

A: Yes. You must make sure that your root partition is below 1024 cylinders
so the BIOS can boot the kernel from it. (Note that this is a limitation in
the PC's BIOS, not FreeBSD).

For a SCSI drive, this will normally imply that the root partition will be
in the first 1024MB (or in the first 4096MB if extended translation is
turned on - see previous question). For IDE, the corresponding figure is
504MB.
--

Is this still true? /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2 uses int13 extensions if
they are present. Is that sufficient to break this restriction? Can I just

 - Jay