Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:04:39 -0500
From:      Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston@ssa.crane.navy.mil>
To:        Don <samba@geeksrus.ca>
Cc:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FC3 / aic7xxx / Promise VTrak 12100 RAID woes

--------------5A0725A47910F19027BC2A28

Don wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  From looking through the archives, it doesn't look like I'm the first
> person to have "fun" with Promise RAID systems... although I didn't
> notice any specific discussions about the VTrak.
>
> I have a FC3 stock system (kernel 2.6.9) with an Adaptec 7899 card and
> it is connected to a Promise VTrak 12100 RAID loaded up with about 2.5
> TB of disks.  The system "works", however it is slow.
<SNIP>

You mention sequential "char" write being the really slow test, and I notice
that your Tagged Queuing Depth (TQD) is set to 4 below, I would think that
having a higher TQD might help in this situation.

> In digging around I've seen some people claim that performance of scsi
> RAID disks can have to do with the card configuration.  I have checked
> "dmesg" and noted:
>
> scsi3 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
>         <Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
>         aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
>
> scsi3:A:10:0: DV failed to configure device.  Please file a bug report
> against this driver.
> (scsi3:A:10): 160.000MB/s transfers (80.000MHz DT, offset 62, 16bit)
>   Vendor: Promise   Model: 11 Disk RAID5     Rev: V0.0
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 04
> scsi3:A:10:0: Tagged Queuing enabled.  Depth 4
> SCSI device sdc: 2449856640 1024-byte hdwr sectors (2508653 MB)
> SCSI device sdc: drive cache: write through
>  sdc: sdc1 sdc2
> Attached scsi disk sdc at scsi3, channel 0, id 10, lun 0
>
> I've seen this "DV failed" message on this list archives, but for most
> people it seemed to have more serious consequences, whereas for this
> system it seems to roll right past the error.  I'm not sure if the error
> is relevant or if its a red herring.

with the RM8000 I have to maintain, yes it would pass on through the DV
failed, but later on the RM8000 would stop talking (or listening) on the
SCSI bus until the RM8000 was cold booted. If I was driving the unit with
global_tag_depth:212 and DV on in my environment[1], I would get lockups ~8
hours after cold boot consistently.
On the same hardware:
leaving dv on and setting the tag depth to 1 [0] would get ~12 hours.
turning dv off[2] would get ~24 hours.
turning dv off and setting the tag depth to 16 [3] would get ~3 days.
turning dv off and setting the tag depth to 224 [4] AND setting the bus
speed (in the cards bios) to 40.000MHz gets plus of 71 days (at this setting
I have not had a lockup, but I have had other reasons to reboot the linux
system, like power outages){If I understood DV correctly, a working DV
implementation would probably also have slowed down the bus speed to the
device}.

One other fun variable, these numbers are from after I had gotten the units
into production and they were seeing bursts of use from the ~30 users.  A
constant load like `badblocks -w` or full sync from the other drbd host (all
.75TB, at maximum write speed ~22MB/s) did not cause trouble.

If I understood domain validation[5] correctly, if the device is a Ultra160
device it is required to do DV, but it seems either the Promise products
either a) don't do it, b) do it wrong, c) do it differently than the adaptec
drivers/hardware expects. When I questioned the Promise rep (I thought he
was a technical type), when I was having lots of problems, about this it
seemed to be something he was unaware of and unconcerned about when I
pointed him to the page I found describing it[5].

In short, I don't think that the Promise equipment likes the DV that adaptec
does, and because of the un-liked DV it MAY become unstable, you would
probably be best to shut the DV off for that device because it has already
told you it is not working anyway.

> I've put a mesage in to Promise support but am not holding my breath.

Definitely Don't hold your breath, it takes (at the time I asked my support
questions) ~5 days to 4 weeks for them to even pull your email out of the
imap server (yes I set the return receipts for both the servers and clients
when dealing with them).
The only advice I ever got from them (other than getting the latest firmware
installed, which I had already done) was to slow down the bus and I only got
that after CALLING them.

> If anyone has any advice, or recommendations on how to track this
> problem down further, I would really appreciate it.

get a product from a different vendor and compare the
performance/reliability.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Don

in /etc/modules.conf
note dv:{0} assumes the promise drive is the first drive on the first bus,
IIRC to set it off for the third drive on the first bus it would be
dv:{1,1,0}.
[0] options aic7xxx aic7xxx=verbose.global_tag_depth:1
[1] options aic7xxx aic7xxx=verbose.global_tag_depth:212
[2] options aic7xxx aic7xxx=verbose.global_tag_depth:214.dv:{0}
[3] options aic7xxx aic7xxx=verbose.global_tag_depth:16.dv:{0}
[4] options aic7xxx aic7xxx=verbose.global_tag_depth:224.dv:{0}
Note on the above tag_depth settings, the reason I changed some around
(212,214,224) was so I could see which line was being used at boot in the
the syslog. I found that after changing the line, one must rebuild the
initrd on a FC1 system to have the change take effect.

[5] http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/scsi/protDomain.html
--
Todd Denniston
--------------5A0725A47910F19027BC2A28

Even when this disclaimer is not here,
the opinions expressed by me are not necessarily sanctioned by and
do not necessarily represent those of my employer.
Also even when this disclaimer is not here, I DO NOT have authority to
direct you in any way to alter your contractual obligation
and my email can NOT be used as direction to modify a contract.

--------------5A0725A47910F19027BC2A28--