Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 18:05:15 +0200
From:      Steve Mazerski <smazerski@yahoo.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dang harddisk, or: WDC AC28400R - something wrong?

I've been spending a happy weekend trying to install FreeBSD
for evaluation purposes (*).

Unfortunately my trusty WDC AC28400R - a Westerm Digital IDE
hard disk of ca. 8GB capacity doesn't get on well with FreeBSD
(or maybe it's the other way round). As described in previous
mails I was able to install FreeBSD on this disk, which for
technical and historical reasons is the first disk in my PC,
but on booting the FreeBSD bootloader was unaccountably
slow, causing the disk to make a very worrying "thack thwock"
sound, before it eventually got round to actually booting.
(Note: the disk _seems_ to be OK, the other operating systems
inhabiting it still boot without any evident problems).

Does anyone anywhere have an idea of what's up with
this disk, or FreeBSD and this disk? The disk itself
has never given any problems under Linux or Windows.

Anyway... having established that it was the disk at fault,
not any other part of the hardware, I have just cleared=20
a partition on the second hard disk (an IBM of some sort),
which was great fun, because it's where all the real data is,
(most of it in a giant logical Linux partition...) and installed FreeBSD
there. This installation booted normally, with no worrying
HD noises.=20

Just wanted to mention it for the records.

S.Mazerski