Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 2012 17:28:13 +0000
From:      Matt Burke <mattblists@icritical.com>
To:        Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS v28 on -STABLE not using hot spare

On 01/03/12 15:10, Peter Maloney wrote:
> On 01/03/2012 03:53 PM, Matt Burke wrote:
>> 	    mfid16   FAULTED      0   931     0  too many errors
>
> Hot spare management is not part of the zfs system; it is part of the
> OpenSolaris "fault management daemon" which does not exist in FreeBSD.

OK, my mistake was that I took the man page to be correct:

Hot Spares
    ZFS allows devices to be associated with pools as "hot spares". These
    devices are not actively used in the pool, but when an active device
    fails, it is automatically replaced by a hot spare.

Perhaps that section should be replaced with the text "DANGER: Hot spares
are not (currently) implemented in FreeBSD"?

It can't just be me who thought it would be a good idea to configure the
RAID controller to just export all the disks as JBOD and configure a few
hot spares under ZFS because:

  a) the man page says you can
  b) the userland command lets you do it
  c) there's no documentation telling you it's non-functional

At least I'm aware of this now, so I can drop the spare drives on my other
ZFS machines and have the controllers deal with replacement, but I think
this is a pretty serious flaw in FreeBSD to tell users their data is safer
than it actually is...

If it's a good idea, I could attempt to make a patch to prevent zpool from
setting a drive as spare?

> And FYI there is a property you are supposed to set to get OpenSolaris
> FMD to replace a disk, so if it is implemented in some daemon you find
> or have, maybe this property is required:

Hmm, the same man page suggests that the autoreplace property only comes
into play once you've physically replaced the failed disk.

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended for the addressee only. If you have received this message in error or there are any problems please notify the originator immediately. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.

Critical Software Ltd. reserves the right to monitor and record e-mail messages sent to and from this address for the purposes of investigating or detecting any unauthorised use of its system and ensuring its effective operation.

Critical Software Ltd. registered in England, 04909220. Registered Office: IC2, Keele Science Park, Keele, Staffordshire, ST5 5NH.

This message has been scanned for security threats by iCritical.
    For further information, please visit www.icritical.com