Date:      07 Oct 1999 09:32:58 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>, tool_sucks@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: amount of space for a FreeBSD 3.2 installation

Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com> writes:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Ralph Wiggum wrote:
> > Ok..just got a quick question here.  How much space will I need for a full
> > FreeBSD 3.2 install? I have the 4 CD set.
>
> 	That depends on what you mean by "full".  The base install of
> FreeBSD itself is a GB or 2, I think.  Maybe 2.5 GB at most.  But if you
> install all binaries, source code, XFree86 (source and binaries), and all
> of the ports (without using a "cd /usr/ports ; make clean" command to get
> rid of the left-overs) you could be looking at 6 GB or more.  This is
> mostly a guess.  For what its worth, I've got the 3.2 source and binaries,
> XFree86 binaries, and a lot of ports (though no where near all of them)
> and my /usr partition has about 3.3GB in it.

That's *much* bigger than needed.  A really minimal installation is
oh, 30 or 40 megabytes.  I'm sitting at a (3-Stable) FreeBSD machine
with X (although the sources are packed away in the tarballs in the
ports area), the ports system and 100 megabytes or so of distfiles,
full system source and even all the object files from a system build,
as well as 60 or 70 megabytes of my actual work, and it still only
takes a gigabyte or so.

Obviously, getting it from there to 3 gigabytes isn't all *that* hard,
but for a basically single-user machine, Jaime Kikpole's numbers are
quite a bit higher than a new user would "need."

Be well.