Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:17:11 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        dave <dmehler22@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: earthlink ppp connection.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 12:46:17AM -0400, dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     Is anyone using earthlink with a fbsd 3.4 or 4.0 machine over a dialup modem? If so, can you send me privately a copy of your user-ppp, kernel-ppp, or both sets of scripts? I think I've got my modem up, it now works with the cu program, but it does not work when echoing commands and it looks like a chatscript problem.
> Much thanks.

Dave, can we have a newline from time to time.

Anyway, I've been dialing up to EarthLink with no major hassles. Right
now, I'm getting the PPP NAT to work so I can have my notebook PC be a
gateway for my desktop... backwards, but that's the way it's working
out.

But here is a sanitized ppp.conf,

  #
  # ppp.conf - cjc, 2000/03/19
  #
  default:
   set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
   set device /dev/cuaa3
   set speed 115200
   set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \
             OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
   allow user cjc
  #
  # Set up some filters - 2000/06/24, cjc
  #
  # Packets that do not reset alive connection counter
   set filter alive 0 deny icmp
   set filter alive 1 deny udp src eq 53
   set filter alive 2 deny udp dst eq 53
   set filter alive 3 permit 0 0
  # Packets that do not start the auto dialer
   set filter dial 0 deny icmp
  # set filter dial 1 deny udp src eq 53
  # set filter dial 2 deny udp dst eq 53
  # set filter dial 3 deny 0 0 tcp finrst
   set filter dial 2 permit 0 0
  # Filter inbound packets
   set filter in 0 deny ! 0/0 MYADDR
   set filter in 1 permit tcp estab
   set filter in 2 permit udp src eq 53
   set filter in 3 permit icmp
  # set filter in 4
  # set filter in 5
  # set filter in 6
  # set filter in 7

  EarthLink:
   # EarthLink Cust #xxxxxxx, support: (800) 890-5128
   set phone "xxxxxxx|xxxxxxx"
   set login
   set authname xxxxxxx
   set authkey xxxxxxxxx
   set timeout 600
   set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0  255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0
   add default HISADDR
   set server /tmp/pppctl xxxxxxxx 0007
   enable dns
  #End