Date:      Mon, 03 May 2004 11:04:26 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new GEOM feature - geom_vol_msdosfs

In message <20040503175810.62d3f0fb.nork@FreeBSD.org>, Norikatsu Shigemura writ
es:
>	I made a geom_vol_msdosfs GEOM module.  It provides a feature
>	like geom_vol_ffs.

I think this is a great idea!

I wonder if it would be smarter to collect all these in one geom
class rather than have one for each volume label metadata format,
having it in one GEOM class would simplify name-collision handling.

On the other hand, name collisions are already passively neutered
in DEVFS, so if we can live with "Don't do that then" handling of
it, then there is no reason to not have them as different GEOM
classes, which certainly makes for simpler and cleaner code.

Poul-Henning

PS:
I would love to see handling of ISO 9660 (CDROM) volume labels as well.

PPS:
When you commit, please put it in a subcatalog under sys/geom.