Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:21:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: somewhat random mostly-lockups in 5.0

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > The syptoms are that the machine locks up.  Hard.  But there's a catch:
>
> Erm, Brian, You *know* nobody can debug a problem like this without
> hard information.  It's like calling a mechanic on the phone and
> saying "My car won't go.  It just doesn't move at all!  Tell me what's
> wrong!"
> [...]

I'm not really expecting someone to be able to explain why it's happening.
I'm wondering if anyone else notices the same problem.  My friend down
here who also has this problem is going to get DDB set up to work with
the serial console, which means when it happens to him next, he'll have
all the info necessary to figure this out.  I was thinking that perhaps
I was not the only one to notice this yet, and if someone else did they
could find out more.

I'm not looking for a psychic; I'm trying to find the problem by letting
other people know that when it happens to them, they aren't the only ones,
and shouldn't brush it off if possible...

> - Jordan
>
> P.S. My -current box from April 6th has yet to do anything like this.

It's occurred on UP machines only that I know of, and I know only of
these two specific reports.  There's more in common, such as use of
softupdates, invariants, ATA, and other kernel options.