Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 01:20:27 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        jeff@stat.uconn.edu (Jeffrey M. Metcalf)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation of FreeBSD from DOS partition

On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:
> . . . . .
> I have a strong suspicion as to what is going on.  I was able to install
> the minimal FreeBSD distribution from floppy.  I guess that means that
> the bin files are not corrupt.  I don't have a means to check that the
> copies on my hard-drive are not corrupt, but I believe that the evidence
> is against this anyway.  My belief is that the FreeBSD kernel is reading
> from the floppy device correctly, but not reading correctly from my hard-
> drive.  . . . . .

Sorry to learn you've been having such trouble getting FreeBSD
installed from your MS-DOS partition. :-(

If you wouldn't mind, there is some information you can provide that
would assist us in investigating problems that sometimes occur when
FIPS has been used to split an existing MS-DOS partition.

FIPS can be run in 'test/debug' mode, and will then generate a file
'fipsinfo.dbg' containing diagnostic data relating to your MS-DOS
filesystem. The command to do this is

   fips -t -d

(The option -t disables writes to disk. The option -d enables
debugging.)

The procedure should not make any changes to your hard disk. It
also shouldn't take more than a minute or so.

A sample session is given below (only prompts for input are shown):

C:\>fips -t -d

Press any Key
Which Drive (1=0x80/2=0x81)? 1

Which Partition do you want to split (1/2)? 1

Do you want to make a backup copy of your root- and bootsector before
proceeding (y/n)?

***** Hit Ctrl-C at this point. *****

If you can e-mail me the 'fipsinfo.dbg' file (for the MS-DOS partition
from which you could not install FreeBSD), it'd be a help in getting
to the bottom of this.

--
Robert Nordier