Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2022 16:48:31 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Nicolas Herry <beastieboy@beastieboy.net>
Cc:        =?utf-8?Q?Fernando_Apestegu=C3=ADa?= <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com>, User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Testing ports of rust software w/o building rustc

On Nov 11, 2022, at 3:23 PM, Nicolas Herry <beastieboy@beastieboy.net> =
wrote:

> Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> writes:
>=20
>> I got tired, too, of Rust taking many many hours to build, so I
>> decided to install the ports-mgmt/sccache-overlay port to speed =
things
>> up (it extends ccache functionality to Rust software).  It helps, =
plus
>> you also get a ccache speed boost to those other heavyweight ports
>> like llvm* and gcc* if you're not already using ccache...
>=20
> Then I'm curious now: why not opt for poudriere-devel (and binary
> downloads)? Do you need to pass specific options to the compilation of
> Rust?

I don't know whether there are any specific options I use with Rust, =
although I do tend to have blanket settings for build dependencies (like =
disabling DOCS and TEST options).  It's more likely that I didn't know =
about poudriere-devel's binary download abilities or didn't realise it =
would help when setting up ports-mgmt/sccache-overlay. :-)

Also, in my case, I build ALL my ports locally and don't use any FreeBSD =
binary repositories, and so I figured that anything that Poudriere could =
download it could also pull in directly as a build dependency.  Maybe I =
need to look more carefully at the Poudriere settings to do with =
rebuilding build dependencies unnecessarily. :-\

Also, TBH, the documentation on binary package downloading support in =
Poudriere isn't exactly extensive.  Prompted by your message I went =
looking for it and all I could find is some comments at the end of the =
poudriere.conf.sample file.  (Also, also, I'm running -STABLE, and I =
don't believe there is a FreeBSD package repo for that, so I don't know =
how useful the capability would be to me.  I could be wrong, though.)

Cheers,

Paul.=