Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 22:33:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speak_freely

 * plain audio tools remains plain audio, e.g. timidity, sox, mpg123,
 * mikmod etc find their place there.
 *
 * Depending on how we define "multimedia" (e.g. tools using _both_
 * audio and video (and the latter not only for a GUI), or collaborative
 * tools, ...) we can select what to put.
 *
 * The term multimedia is really abused these days, so it practically
 * means nothing. Everytime I go shopping for peripherals I find
 * multimedia microphones, multimedia speakers, multimedia heaphones,
 * multimedia modems... oh yes, now I realize, it must be the color
 * -- a computerish cream/light grey ... non-multimedia audio equipment is
 * black!

You said exactly what I meant. :)

We need a category that is easier to distinguish from others.  As it
stands, "audio" and "multimedia" is going to have too much overlap.

Satoshi