Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:56:58 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threaded 6.4 code compiled under 9.0 uses a lot more memory?..

--On 30 October 2012 19:43 +0700 Erich Dollansky
<erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote:

>> Depends how you mean 'the same' - on the 6.4 system it shows:
>>
>>    cc (GCC) 3.4.6 [FreeBSD] 20060305
>>
>> And, on the 9.0-S it shows:
>>
>>    cc (GCC) 4.2.1 20070831 patched [FreeBSD]
>>
>> So 'same' - but different versions.
>>
> did you check the default data sizes?

How do you mean?

>> Now they've been running for an hour or so - they've gotten a little
>> larger 552M/154M and 703M/75M.
>>
>> If it's not harmful I can live with it - it was just a bit of a
>> surprise.
>
> And a reason to spend more money on memory. Knowing the real reason
> would be better.
>
> I can understand your surprise.

Hehe, more 'concern' than surprise I guess now...

The sendmail milter has grown to a SIZE/RES of 1045M / 454M under 9.0. The
original 6.4 machine under heaver load (more connections) shows a SIZE/RES
of 85M/52M.

The TCP listener code is now showing a SIZE/REZ of 815M/80M under 9.0 with
the original 6.4 box showing 44M/9.5M

The 9.0 box says it has 185M active, 472M inactive, 693M wired, 543M buf,
and 4554M free.

At this stage I'm just a bit concerned that at least the milter code is
going to grow, and grow - and die.

I would think it would last over night so I'll see what the figures are in
the morning.

Thanks for the replies...

-Karl