Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 09:29:36 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting /usr/ports everywhere...

> Weren't you planning to write a replacement for sysinstall?  In that case,
> it sounds somewhat wasteful to put that much work into it.  I was thinking

Yes, I was and am, but sysinstall is still sort of the creeping undead
for awhile.  It works better than any of the alternatives and it's
relatively easy to add new configuration screens to (the registration
stuff taking me about 8 hours to slap together and finish testing, for
an example) so it's still too tempting a target not to dink with.

Yes, any work invested in sysinstall is also wasted work, long-term,
but isn't most software right now? :-) I think if a relatively simple
feature helps a lot of new users, even if it only has a 3-6 month
shelf-life it's still worth the time to pop it into sysinstall.
Why do you think I keep messing with the stupid thing? :-)

					Jordan