Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 02:23:35 -0400
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Peter.McGarvey@telinco.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARGH! :)  Ongoing bandwidth throttling issue...need help!

At 07:07 AM 6/29/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>Jim Conner wrote:
> >
> > Is there anything or any reason anyone can think of that would keep my
> > machine from using its full capacity bandwidth?  Its a 3.4REL machine using
> > a 10/100 BT NIC plugged into a 10/100 switch and it transfers almost like
> > its on a 1 BT connection =P  It is absolutely driving me crazy!  Im using
> > the Via Rhine driver (DLink card) and no NATD or ipfw.  Here is what
> > systeat -tcp gives me:
>
>I've had speed problems with NICs in the past.
>
>For a start I turned off Full-Duplex.  Yes, I know it's *should* give me
>twice the throughtput - but I discovered it's actually a good way to
>slow your whole network down.  It's only usefull for the occasional
>client system and defiantely not on a server.

Ok...noted :)  Thanks...

>I also discovered that the the other thing which slows traffic is
>MS-Windows.  The MS TCP stack is a pile of c**p.  So in and
>Unix<->Windoms connection my unix systems tend to have to wait for tcp
>acknowlegements.

This is actually something I already knew.  Winjunk...gotta not love it
=P  oops...sorry, didn't mean to trash another OS...

>I'm not kidding here, the Windows lag is noticable.  A while back I
>managed to download a whole FreeBSD ISO image off the internet onto my
>FreeBSD machine in just under 7 minutes.  Whereas it took almost 20
>minutes to copy this off my FreeBSD box onto my Windows machine - and
>both machines had a 100Mbps connection to the same switch.  Not good.

hmm...thats odd! but somewhat believable....

>BTW, you do realise that the top of the screen is the system load
>average not the network throughput.  I only mention the fact because I
>once had a work mate who got confused and freaked.  He would not believe
>otherwise until I showed him the lottle flashing lighes throughput on
>the hub.

Nope...didn't know that about the status bar on systat...good to know.  Thanks.

>As for monitoring bandwidth, I don't really think systat really cuts
>it.  Get hold of MRTG and put it on another machine.  Set it to monitor
>the port on your ftp server, and you'll get a nice little graph of the
>throughput.

Already have it, but haven't implemented snmpd on the server so no pretty
graphs as of yet for the server =P but got all sorts of pretty stuff on the
router! ;)

- Jim

>--
>TTFN, FNORD
>
>Peter McGarvey, Unix Administrator
>Network Operations Center, Telinco Limited

- Jim

Today's errors, in contrast:
Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935"
UNIX  - "segmentation fault - core dumped"
Humanous Beingsus - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"