Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 08:26:26 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        gLaNDix <glandix@lloydix.2y.net>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: newbie question about ports

gLaNDix <glandix@lloydix.2y.net> types:

These get asked - and answered - on -questions regularly. I'd suggest
you check the archives there for more details.

> 1.) When you use cvsup to update the ports tree, does that update the
> ports to the level of the kernel (ie: are the ports -RELEASE quality, or
> are they -STABLE/-CURRENT quality?)

Ports track their own branch, not -stable or -current. They all get
built for a release, which may uncover a few errors that weren't there
before, but there don't seem to be a flood of fixes in the cvs
repository for that.

> 2.) Let's say I have foobar-1.0 installed from the ports collection.  A
> few days later foobar-1.2 comes out.  Can I upgrade to 1.2 by first
> updating the ports tree (atleast for foobar) and running 'make install'?
> Or will this cause the same potential problem downloading the "non-port"
> source and installing it on top of the original port install? (ie: will
> this leave extra files laying around, or does it automatically take care
> of that problem?)

No, it doesn't automatically take care of the problem. You need to
either delete the old one before you install the new one, or decide
that you can safely run them both.

	<mike