Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 2023 11:19:19 -0700
From:      John Rushford <jjrushford@gmail.com>
To:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Pi 4 serial ports

Emmanuel,

Thank you very much!  I=E2=80=99m new to FreeBSD on pi and I guess I was =
making this way to difficult.
I built the rpi-firmware port and copied/enabled the uart dtb=E2=80=99s =
for the uart I wish to use. =20
I rebooted and I now see the port in the kernel messages and the ttyu in =
the dev tree. =20
Next I=E2=80=99ll break out my soldering iron and wire up the GPS =
breakout and get it working hopefully.

Cheers
John

> On Jan 10, 2023, at 12:35 AM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> =
wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Hi John,
>=20
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 13:43:37 -0700
> John Rushford <jjrushford@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>> Greetings,
>>=20
>> I?m running FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE on a raspberry pi 4b rev 1.4.  The =
pi 4 has 4 UART ports available but as far as I can tell, FreeBSD 13.1 =
only supports 1 of them.
>> I would like to use one of the other UART ports to wire an adafruit =
GPS breakout too.  I tried using the UART0 port but when I wire the GPS =
breakout to it,=20
>> I run into boot issues with u-boot and console logging.  I know that =
in other OS?s such as raspian or ubuntu, you are able to enable the =
additional UARTS in config.txt.
>> Thinking that FreeBSD might support this I tried adding =
?dtoverlay=3Duartx? where x is 0 to 3 but I?m not seeing in any kernel =
logging that these ports were enabled and
>> I don?t see any additional ttyu?s in the dev tree.
>>=20
>> So my question, does FreeBSD support these additional UARTS and if =
so, how do I enable them so that I may use one for the GPS breakout?