Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:40:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad system call - world build

Well, it seems more and more people are tripping over this one.
Building and bebooting with a new kernel is not a solution to many, as
one of the goals of the buildworld/installworld split was to be able
to build world on the fileserver (which could be running something as
old as 2.1.5) and install it on the client without disrupting the
server at all.

So, let's get to the real solution.  I don't want to point my big fat
fingers (well they really are, you can come see me!) to anyone but
Poul-Henning appears to be the one that made the change initially with
Peter trying to fix it.

What do you think, guys? :)

Satoshi
-------
The cvs log of src/lib/libc/gen/getcwd.c says:
 :
1.14 Tue Sep 16 6:00:50 1997 by peter
CVS Tags: HEAD

Put a system call not present checking wrapper around the call to
__getcwd().  I've got this libc code running on one of my machines
at the moment without the __getcwd() syscall being present.
 :
1.11 Sun Sep 14 16:57:16 1997 by phk

Add __getcwd() syscall, and have getcwd() take a shot at it.
If your kernel doesn't support __getcwd() or if __getcwd() cannot
deliver because of cache expiry, it does the canonical thing.