Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:34:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting the Time || Public Time Servers

On 2002-08-14, MET scribbled:

# How would I make my BSD machine get its time from something like a
# public time server so that reports the correct time?

You can use the ntpdate utility to query and set the system's date. You
can set it to sync your clock upon startup by adding the proper lines to
/etc/rc.conf (check the man page rc.conf(5) for the proper options) or
add it to a crontab.

You must be root to set the system's clock.

--

Linh Pham                                         lplist@closedsrc.org
Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                        http://closedsrc.org