Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:11:38 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Filesystem layout

Greetings!

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 04:48:40PM +0300, Alexander V Zubchenko wrote:
> > Greetings, All!
> >
> > I have general question about the subj. How it would be better for
> > administering to install big pkg's, such as apache, mysql, postgresql,
> > etc., directly in /usr/local/ or in /usr/local/{pkg_name}? And, when
> > compiling apache 2.0 it doesn't found my postgresql-7.2 installation. It
> > was necessary to install PgSQL to /usr/local/pgsql to make it work.
>
> Use the ports system. It puts everything in the right place, and
> somebody else maintains it for you.
> --
> Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
>                          Power corrupts, Absolute Power is pretty neat

Yes, but i choose freebsd, because i don't want to somebody else maintain
my PC for me ;-) But question was about general UNIX ideology and current
state of FreeBSD hier(7). qmail install itself into /var/qmail (but var is
not for this), /var/tmp is also not so good idea, imho. etc. etc. etc. i
think that current directory structure is not clear. and what you say,
all, if i will try to suggest another one. Or where it may b suggested for
better results and lesser annoying factor.

Thx,

Alexander