Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 12:04:49 -0000
From:      Eddy Deegan <deegan@dreamworld.demon.co.uk>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp rears it's head again

Greetings all.

Having finally got a full FreeBSD installation installed, running Afterstep / Enlightenment, installed everything going, made a custom kernel and all the other lovely stuff that comes with 2.2.2 CD-ROM version, I got round to configuring ppp. Now, I successfully managed this, and indeed it dials up, connects and starts happily transmitting etc, but after about 3 minutes it drops the line.

I have scoured the FAQ and the Dox to no avail. Looking at the ligs reveals that the old 'Too many echo packets lost' has reared it's ugly head again. I did a search of the mailing list archives and was surprised to see that loads of you seem to have had this problem. However, the latest reference I can find on the subject is several months back, but I have not found the answer. I gather that sticking 'disable' and 'deny' lines for lqr and (maybe) lcp is supposed to fix this, and I'll do that (I thought I'd already disabled lqr) but was a proper solution ever reached? It's very very frustrating!!!!

Eddy Deegan
deegan@dreamworld.demon.co.uk

PS: A couple of days ago it worked for about an hour! Which is longer than any other attmpet by a good 57 minutes :-)