Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 13:25:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   more on latency

I think I found the reason that my FreeBSD box is performing so poorly as
a NATing router. When I do an ipnat -l to see what "active
connections" are there on the router, a list about 3 pages long (using
ipnat -l | more) appears. I think maybe it's having trouble because for
every packet coming in and out of the router, it's got to look at that
list of active connections for the right one to send to and from. Is there
any way to make connections that aren't being used go away from the NAT
faster? Thanks a lot.

Kenneth Culver